Thursday, March 3, 2011

Meditation on the Lord's Prayer Part 1

PRAY IN THIS MANNER

Our Father, who art in heaven
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For Yours is the kingdom
And the power
And the glory forever.
Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven.

This teaches me that I am not alone, I have many brothers and sisters.  I am not to isolate, even when alone in prayer.  I am part of a whole.  When I pray for things, it is for us, not just me.  This teaches me partnership, and removes me from my self-centeredness.  I am not the center of the universe.  I should want God to help me, but not at the expense of my family.  God is our Father.

 As our Father, He deserves our respect and obedience.  As our Father, we look to Him for protection and provision.  As our Father, we try to imitate Him.  We learn from Him.  He is our Father in heaven.  His throne is far above any throne on earth.

Hallowed be Thy name.

There is a difference between hallow and holy.  Hallow is “to make holy”, and “to respect greatly” (3).

A definition of holy is exalted (4).  Therefore, to hallow is to exalt.

To exalt is to enhance the activity of, or to intensify; to exalt is to raise in rank, power, or character; to exalt is to elevate by praise, or to elevate in estimation - in value, worth, and opinion (5, 6).

A person’s name is their nature, authority and character.  It is the attributes that distinguish (separate) a person from others (7).

“Hallowed be” is in the passive.  It does not indicate who is doing the hallowing.  It does, however, indicate that what is being hallowed is more important.  So whether it is God doing the hallowing, or us, may be less important than what is being hallowed – His name (8).

We can hallow His name by praise and thanksgiving.  But this is probably a result of God first hallowing His name in us.  God can hallow His name in our hearts and mind.  He can increase our estimation of His character and attributes.  He certainly has increased our estimation of His name.  He has saved us from the misery of our addiction.  He has given us a way out.  He has shown us His principles.  God probably already estimates His name to be worth exactly what it is actually worth.  WE are the ones who have an incorrect and insufficient estimation of His name.
God can intensify His character within us.

Thy kingdom come.

God is our King.  Kingdom speaks of a realm; it speaks of someone’s rule; it speaks of royalty.  God's kingdom is His realm of dominion and is His way of doing things.

"The Kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field" (9). 
“To what shall we liken the kingdom of God?  …  It is like a mustard seed which, when it is sown on the ground, is smaller than all the seeds on earth; but when it is sown, it grows up and becomes greater than all herbs, and shoots out large branches, so that the birds of the air may nest under its shade” (10).
“To what shall I liken the kingdom of God?  It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened” (11).
“The kingdom of God is within you” (12).

God sows His kingdom within our hearts.  It starts out smaller than the other seeds, but it becomes great and takes over the other parts of our hearts.  We may ignorantly or stubbornly hold on to part of our heart, as if it belongs to us.  However, His kingdom spreads within our hearts.  With Gods Spirit, our hearts become more and more submissive to His rule.

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

A persons will is their choice.  It is what they have purposed.  It is the goal they have in mind – their end game.  It is their decree.  It can be an inclination.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) Matthew 6:9-13
(2) Luke 11:1-4
(3) Hallow
(4) Holy
(5) Exalt
(6) Estimation
(7) Name (Greek)
(8) Hallowed in the passive voice
(9) Matthew 13:24-30
(10) Mark 4:30-31
(11) Luke 13:20-21
(12) Luke 17:21
Bonus Site on the Lord's Prayer:
http://www.lords-prayer-words.com/

2 comments:

Danny said...

This is a real long post, but I really like it. I was praying and stuff one day, and started to do the Lord's prayer. I started to just meditate on it. Then I started to search out the greek words individually. I will say that I do not know greek like I pretend to know some Hebrew, and totally depended on others. Then I even searched out the words in our websters dictionary.
The posts ends with my stupid and almost certainly incorrect version of the Lord's prayer. But it speaks to me, and he said pray in this manner so i think it is ok for me to veer from the exact words.
But I definitely believe that this prayer offered at the end of the post is pretty close to the intended meaning of the scripture.

thanks for reading,
danny

p.s i just split this post into two parts and i am pasting one of my friends comments on here.

Danny said...

I really enjoyed the post. Have noticed the unique and singular place that the Lord's Prayer has in Scripture as being one of the only times Jesus seems to give such very specific guidance in regards to the "how-to" approach of who we now call the Father.(Just this one distinction is huge when you compare the number of references to parental identity in the new versus the old testaments.)

Anyhoo, just wanted to share my basic structure of my daily prayer as a result of this realization. I start with thanks because in my experience, my worship flows most genuinely when I take time and energy to focus on what I have to thank Him for in the last 24 hours. Next, I ask for the empowerment of His Holy Spirit to walk in obedience to Him. I mention some specific areas in need of help(humility instead of pride, yielding my appetites to His control, walking in contentment and gratefulness, walking in gentleness and patience with people, and consistency in walking in prayerfulness instead of anxiety and misguided self-reliance). Next, I ask for His provision and thank Him for His current provision. Next, I ask Him to make me aware of unforgiveness and enable me to walk in forgiveness more consistently. Finally, I ask that He guards my eyes and ears and my heart and mind against things I can't control, and for His continued patient working of the soil in my heart to create fertile soil for His Word to be fruitful and bring Him glory, honor, and praise. That's about it. It goes loosely along with the structure of THE PRAYER. Love you guys.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011
Dennis D. said...

P.s. How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?
Wednesday, February 09, 2011
Dennis D. said...

Only one......but.....the light bulb has to WANT to change.

by Dennis D.